The Flourless Chai Chocolate Cake is a special sort of dessert and a little bit unexpected - it’s rich, dense, aromatic, yet not overly sweet. When it sets it will create a beautifully moist cake that belies it’s simple and humble appearance. And you’re gluten-free, this cake could be your new best friend!
2 tablespoons of Masala Blend Chai (check out our chai collection here)
1⁄4 cup / 60ml of milk
200g of dark chocolate, chopped
150g of butter, diced
3⁄4 cup / 150g of caster sugar
150g of almond meal (ground almonds)
1⁄2 teaspoon of ground cardamom
Cacao for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 170 ̊C. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
2. In a small saucepan, place the Masala Chai and the milk. Slowly bring to the boil then turn off the heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes before straining.
3. Place in a heatproof bowl the the chocolate,butter and sugar. Hold over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted and combined.
4. Separate the eggs into yolks and whites, and whisk the egg yolks until pale and fluffy. Clean the beaters and then whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until you have soft peaks.
5. Fold the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then add the almond meal and cardamom until combined.
6. Gently fold the egg whites with the chocolate almond mixture, then pour into the cake tin.
7. Bake the cake for 40–50 minutes. Allow to stand for 10 minutes (or more), then
remove sides from the tin and allow to cool before serving.